About St. James UCC
Who We Are
At St. James UCC, God still speaks, calling us to faithful worship,
fellowship for all and service to our community and world
St. James, an Open & Affirming Congregation of the United Church of Christ is a vibrant, family oriented community of faith in the heart of Hamburg, a friendly suburb on the south side of Buffalo, New York. Our congregation numbers around 240 members and is a supportive and loving faith family.
Drawn together by the Holy Spirit, we are a diverse community of Christians that come together as one church, joining faith and action. In covenant with the church, we serve God in the co-creation of a just and sustainable world as made manifest in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
We have an active Sunday School program. Our Middle and Senior High Youth meet monthly and participate in annual denomination gatherings and mission trips . Throughout the year, the musical aspect of our worship is lead by our children’s choir, adult choir, praise band and the St. James Jazz Band.
A former parsonage has been turned into a center for used both for youth events and mission outreach projects. Among other things, this house is used to host homeless families through Family Promise of Western New York. Over 2o years ago the church has undertaken is to operate a Day Care Center within the church building. The center is called TLC (Tender Loving ChildCare) and continues to successfully provide a low cost, high quality child care option within the Hamburg community.
We invite you to come and worship with us, for worship is indeed the solid foundation for our lives, both as individuals and as a community of faith.
At St. James UCC we…
….Never place a period where God has placed a comma. — Gracie Allen
St. James was founded in 1853 as St. Jacob’s German Evangelical Church. Worship and all study happened using the German language until about 1920 when the transition was made to English.
As the congregation grew, a new building was built and dedicated as Saint James Church.
In 1957 when the Evangelical and Reformed Churches, which merged in 1934, and the Congregational and Christian Churches, which came together in 1931, joined to form the United Church of Christ, the church moved from being an Evangelical and Reformed Church and became Saint James United Church of Christ.
A Christian Education Building was added in 1958 to accommodate a growing Christian Education program.
Preparing Our Future
The current sanctuary was renovated in 1970, yielding a reinforced balcony in the rear of the Sanctuary and the installation of the current 21 rank Schlicker Organ. The new entryway, lifts and elevator we added in 1998 in order to make the church more accessible to all.
Recently, St. James became a host site for Family Promise of Western New York, partnering with another local congregation to host homeless families in our Youth House.
In 2013, a new Pastor and changes to the leadership structure ushered in a new era of excitement. As we continue to imagine the future, we remain comitted to honoring our traditions while being open to the new possibilities God has in store.